Thursday, February 17, 2005

Believing and Doubting

Parag Viradia
English
02/08/05

We should ban the use of anabolic steroid in sports?

Believe
I am an athlete and believe that sports are very important. Everything that is related to sports is most concerned to me. I have come cross a lot of talk about drugs usage which helps the user to get around the hard work which a normal athlete would have to go through in order to give a good performance. I myself sometimes think about doing this but am glad that I am not doing it. It really works in its initial stages but as every coin has two sides it has a lot many side effects than the advantages. They enhance your performance but it does not have any effect on the athlete’s skills and cardiovascular agility. The external effect can be seen easily but the internal effects are not visible until its too late. Some of them are irreversible. I believe that steroid are dangerous for the people who use it. Steroid gives an athlete an edge on the competition.
Moreover anabolic steroid are addictive and so if tried once, one gets addicted to it and then its very hard for him to perform without the drugs. Anabolic steroids are usually taken in the pill form, but some are taken by injection. Athletes, who take steroids, use each other’s needle which can lead to diseases. Athlete take steroids to satisfy the needs of fans I don’t believe in that. I play soccer and all of my friends and everyone that I know expects a better performance from me every time, but when I am on the field I don’t think about that I just give my 100 percent and forget about the rest.

Doubt
Although I am against the use of anabolic steroid in sports, I will try to support it. Hey if it gives you an edge on the competition why not use it. Anabolic steroids works pretty fast on the body and that is why it attracts more and more people everyday. Steroid helps increase body weight and muscle mass. They also help improve your muscle strength and endurance. The athlete as a pain reliever sometimes takes anabolic steroids so in that case it is helpful. Doctors recommend drug to their patient and therefore it work some way or the other. Athlete should try to follow something like that and take the benefit of the steroids without getting adversely effected. Moreover the amount is what matters the most. If used in small quantities, I think, it wouldn’t effect the athlete that much.
The viewer(audience) want the athlete to perform better, then the last time, every time they step on the field. To perform better every time one needs to have supernatural powers, which is not possible. Athlete with no other choice left are forced to use steroids in order to satisfy the need of the audience.

1 Comments:

At February 24, 2005 at 8:03 PM, Blogger Ilene Crawford said...

Parag,

I know this was a tough assertion to argue for--but I think your very last line helps you open up your thinking about who is responsible and what kinds of anti-steroid campaigns are necessary. If fan behavior is a motivator, then it follows that major league sports need to address fans in some way, yes? All efforts now seem focused on the athletes themselves, and catching them.

As a post, this would be more effective with some context--why are you bringing this issue to the blog? What invitation are you extending to your readers? What kind of response do you want from them? What other texts could you link to in order to illustrate your ideas? This post earns a grade of B-. I think you have a worthy topic here--it's time to move beyond your personal experience and start collecting sources that will help you dig deeper and ask new questions. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Dr. Crawford

 

Post a Comment

<< Home